Monday, February 2, 2009

Ranting about crime...

I'm getting really tired of all of this crime stuff in Atlanta. Seriously. I just got an e-mail on Saturday from my neighborhood list-serve that there was an incident on our street. On OUR street! Apparently someone backed into a driveway at 1:00am and started ringing the doorbell frantically. The homeowner came to the door and yelled through it asking what they wanted. The person yelled that they were looking for someone named Daphne, and when the homeowner told him that he had the wrong house, the guy just jumped back in his car and drove off. In theory, this would be innocent enough, maybe just an annoying drunk guy driving around, but included in the e-mail was a note that the homeowner had a friend who is an Atlanta Police Officer working in Kirkwood (the nieghborhood right next to ours) and he told him that they are having a rash of home invasions where someone knocks on your door looking for someone (they always give you a specific name) and when you open the door, they hold you up at gunpoint and rob your house. The homeowner on our street was very lucky that he didn't open his door. I don't know exactly which house it was, but our street is VERY short, less than a quarter mile, so it must have been close. I'm sure everyone knows about all of the other high profile crime incidents that have been happening. It's just scary. Justin and were talking about how much it stinks to feel unsafe in your own home, especially as a parent. I hate to think that we are in any way putting our child at risk. I definitely think we are going to look for safer lodgings once our lease is up in September. Maybe Decatur. Our neighborhood is usually very very safe, with nothing other than car break-ins on occasion, but these days, it's like the whole city is turning into the Wild Wild West. What's a parent to do?

So in Roxanne related news, she is starting to say a couple of new words. She is saying "bah" when she picks up balls of any kind, and she absolutely LOVES them. She likes to carry around Justin's basketball, and she has several other toy balls of her own that she carts around gleefully. She's getting more and more sturdy with her walking, and can even withstand gentle pushes sometimes when Ben or Josh accidentally knock into her during the day. This weekend we had lunch with my grandparents and then went to a knitting shop in Virginia Highland (Knitch) and I got a beautiful book on knitting and some lovely yarn to make Roxanne a sundress (thanks Grandma!). I have been working on it the past couple of days, and Roxanne has already made a pretty big mess of skein of yarn I started with. I just couldn't take it away from her because she looked so cute pulling it apart. She kept draping it over her shoulders. She loves to do that with clothes. When Justin puts his clean clothes on the bed, she dives right in and puts different things on her head and shoulders. She seems to prefer socks and boxers.

I won't list out the other things we did this weekend, but I will say we had a fun Saturday night with J and J and Evie. Evie was wonderfully sweet to Roxanne and shared all of her toys with her. She's definitely not used to that... During the week, it's like a baby eat baby world on the toy front. Everything is fair game. And after the babies went to sleep, us grown ups played with the Wii for a while. I really want one. They are so much fun. The boxing was my favorite. Maybe some day...

1 comment:

J said...

I will admit the suburbs DO have their perks. I still get wistful when I drive into town, but when I pull into my driveway, I am happy we are where we are. :-)

We loved having you over! Any time!