Saturday, July 17, 2010

Bootie Queen

Roxanne just talks about booties all the time these days. Is it the Spongebob SquarePants? Should we stop watching it? Or is it just that she's my child, and has inherited some of my weird quirkiness? I mean, it's nothing really gross or weird (phew) but still. She's such a silly little kid. Her other current obsessions are reading (that's always a big one for her) which involves holding a book during nap and even at bedtime some nights. She will sometimes wake up in the night and ask for a specific book that she wants to hold. I know she can't actually see it in her crib because her night light doesn't shine very brightly. It's more of a blue glow as part of her noise machine (she likes to listen to the classical music setting on it all night, every night). But she's super specific about which book she wants. So it is not unheard of for me or Justin to be standing in her room half asleep, silently cursing as we dig through her giant book bin trying desperately to find "the Sleeping Beauty book," or the "Muno can't sleep book," or the "Wonderpets Book - no the big one, not the one that plays music!" She's a little tyrant. But so charming during the day... She definitely reminds me of that little rhyme my mom used to always say to me:
Once there was a girl with a curl in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good, she was very very good, and when she was bad she was horrid.

One of her other big controlling times is when she's singing a certain song and can't remember the words. She'll yell at me or Justin "I can't do anything! I can't sing the song! You help me! You help me!" And then Justin and I help her sing the song in half-terrified voices. The other day, she wanted Justin to sing the "princess song," which is this one from Cinderella about "a dream is a wish your heart makes." I sing it to her often, but she has only seen the real version once or twice. Justin has NO idea what the words are, so when she kept demanding that he sing it, we both kept trying to deflect it to me. But she was adamant that Justin sing it, and was almost melting down at his refusal. So finally, we pulled a Cyrano D'Bergerac and I whispered each line to him and then he would sing it. Oh the ridiculousness of parenting... I promise we aren't always total indulgent softies. We just pick our battles. Roxanne has taught us a lot about what to worry about and what to just let go. She's a stubborn little thing, and she's very particular, but she's also extremely smart and precocious. Kind of a tough combination to fight with. :) She's already learned the old "Mommy, can I have ice cream for dinner?" and when I say "of course not!" she simply turns to Justin and says "Daddy, can I have ice cream for dinner?" Sigh.

Oh, and for other news, I just put up a big long rambling post on our house blog. Hope you are all doing well, and staying cool!

No comments: