Thursday, July 31, 2008

Whoa...

So it's obviously hard to decipher, but we're pretty sure that Roxanne JUST said her first real word. She was laying with me on the bed a minute ago, and Justin came up behind her and touched her back and said hello. She whipped her head back and did a full body roll towards him and literally yelled "Dada!" when she saw him. And like I said, I'm sure it could have been a coincidence, but it really seemed like she was calling Justin dada. It was really an exciting and special moment. Even if it was a coincidence.

We're trying a new nighttime routine to try and help Roxanne start sleeping in the crib, and the pattern we are trying involves nursing, then reading a book, then rocking her in the glider with a lullaby. I try to have Justin rock her, since when I rock her she just seems to want to eat. It works pretty well, and we are trying to give her one of her lovies to hold during this nighttime routine. I had picked out one that is a monkey (with a head and a blanket body) and we've been using that for about a week. However, tonight she peed on it. She pretty much pees once for every two times she gets a diaper change. So fortunately, we have some back-up lovies, (two) and I tried to let her pick between them. That means that she has had both of them for a while.

But as I type, she is asleep with Justin and is only holding one. Our new secret is to put her in her crib on her belly. She really stays asleep better that way, even though I know that ALL of the baby literature tries to tell you that it's the worst thing ever. Our babysitter swears by putting babies to sleep on their belly, as does my mom. For now, I put her in the crib on her belly and she stays asleep for about an hour and a half, and then we end up rocking some more and I put her back in the crib on her back. Then she wakes up again sometime around 1:00am and in my sleepy stupor, I end up keeping her in bed with me for the rest of the night. And as much as everyone tells me I should not let Roxanne rule the night, I am happy with the way things are, and I'm not worried about it. We'll get where we need to be eventually. And for now, at least Justin and I have a couple of hours every night to hang out and talk and watch TV, etc. with no baby around. And I still get my little baby snuggler for half of the night. Pretty soon she won't want anything to do with me, so I might as well take advantage of the cuddling while I can.

No comments: