Tuesday, June 23, 2009

They signed!!!!

Whew! They actually signed the form. I cannot even explain what a relief that is.

Of course, we are still holding our breath, since this taught us that it is NOT over until we get the keys. Who knows what else will pop up and keep me up at night before this house is ours? But hopefully it will be ours. We also aren't sure whether or not this is going to delay our closing. We were supposed to close on July 8, but I'm not sure if that is possible, since this form was needed to even submit our loan for approval. I guess we'll see. After all of the harrassing I've been doing to our mortgage broker and real estate agent, I'm going to try and give them a few days to do their jobs without my help. I know I've probably been driving them nuts, but I have to just toot my own horn for just a minute and say that I did a bunch of research for this, and yesterday I sweet talked the super nice HUD inspector to give us a statement in writing that the property passed environmental inspection, and I'm fairly sure that the statement is part of what convinced the sellers to sign the form. Oh yes, and it was my idea to get it. So yeah, I'm turning into one of those obnoxious people who think they know better than the experts. When I was a paralegal, we used to sit around at lunch and complain about foreign nationals who would read random immigration blogs and websites and then call us thousands of times a day to tell us that if we did xyz, it would get them their green cards faster, and we couldn't help but be annoyed at the assumption that we didn't know what we were doing. Oops. I'm officially eating my words. I realized that even though our agent and broker really want the sale to go through, (commission anyone?) no one wants this to work out like me and Justin. They don't have a giant folder full of paint samples, a blog set up just for internet photos of designs I like (yes, I did that, but I won't share the URL since it's insanely boring for anyone not excited by mid-century modern furniture). I'm rambling. But I'm just excited. I really hope we get this house. I can just see Roxanne running through a sprinkler in the front yard, and maybe a tire swing out back. Sigh.

Oh, and just a weird thing I thought I'd share/ask about. In one of the bathrooms at the house, the medicine cabinet has a small slot inside labeled "Razor Blades." I did a little research online, and apparently, a lot of homes built in the fifties and sixties had these, and the razors that men would deposit in the slot would literally just fall into the wall. I actually read a horror story about a woman who was re-designing her house and they ripped out a kitchen wall that backed up to the bathroom, and hundreds of razors fell out and cut their contractor pretty badly. Yikes! Have any of you heard of that or seen it in an older home? Anyone use one? I just think it's such a weird and intriguing thing.

Um, one more rambling fact that I think I found about the house... I'm pretty sure that the previous owner made knives, and that's why there is the giant "workshop" in the backyard. I did some googling of the address and the guy's name, and found a few things that made it seem like he made knives. But like replica-type knives. I think maybe he still does, but obviously in a different place. Anyways, I clearly am a little obssessed with the house. I can't help myself...

2 comments:

kramsell said...

Soo glad they signed, I'm so excited for you guys. We can't wait to help you get moved in and settled, it's so fun moving into your first house.

Art said...

Yay! That's so exciting. and weird about the razor blade thing...