Saturday, September 5, 2009

Holy Cow...

I have let waaaay too much time pass since my last post. Sorry! We've been really busy. Lots of frantic house hunting, errands after work, etc. etc. We are doing well, and still having lots of fun staying with Nana and Mike and Leah. We put an offer on a house in Decatur last Thursday! It's the one that I mentioned previously, over near North Dekalb Mall. We aren't crazy about the neighborhood, but we were able to get some feedback on the area from a friend of my boss who lives near the house we are looking at, and it was all very positive. That went a long way for both of us. I also did exhaustive searches on crime maps, sex offender registries, and my new favorite website, www.greatschools.net, where I obsessively researched schools in the area. The elementary school this house is zoned for is slightly better than the one the other house was zoned for, so that's nice. It is still rated a 7 out of 10 on the aforementioned website, unlike the super duper 10 out of 10 that a lot of suburban schools get, but hopefully Roxanne will come out OK. :) Of course, this time around, Justin and I are both being very very very detached. We like the house, and we hope this works out, but we are very well aware that it might not. So far, things have been much much more smooth than our last experience. We had some hiccups at first, like the fact that once we finally decided to put an offer on the house, we found out someone else had already submitted one (ah!). Magically, ours was accepted. We don't have a binding contract yet, but our agent suggested it might happen tomorrow. We have the inspection scheduled for Monday morning. That will be a momentous event. We're keeping our fingers crossed that the house is in good shape. It seems like it is. It's updated, and actually has appliances! Whoa! My favorite part is that the utilities are connected, and we don't have to turn them on ourselves. This house is owned by Chase, and apparently they are easier to deal with than Bank of America. Let's hope.

Roxanne is a firecracker. She's been having some tough times, courtesy of her two year molars wreaking havoc in her poor little mouth. We've been giving her Motrin almost every night and sometimes during the day. We were worried she might have an ear infection because she was pulling and poking at her ears and screaming for a few days. I was pretty sure it was her teeth, since she didn't have a fever or anything, but it was just so bad! She would wake up at night and put her finger in her ear and scream. I took her to the pediatrician, who said her ears are fine, and showed me those mean little molars poking through. She okayed the pain killers, and they have made a big difference.

One of Roxanne's favorite things right now is draping herself in clothes. Anything that is within her reach is fair game. The other morning, she found one of my bras, and pulled it over her head so it was like a necklace. she had a complete and utter meltdown when I took it off of her so we could leave for work. But mamas have to draw the line somewhere... luckily, she got some well timed dress-up clothes from her cousins a couple of weeks ago, including some ballet slippers that she insisted on wearing today. She spins around in circles when she wears them, but don't worry, I don't let her walk on anything but carpet in them. We'll keep them nice so that maybe she can someday use them in a dance class. I suggested to Justin that we look into a ballet class for her, and he responded, "She's not really built like a ballerina." I promised him I wasn't picking her future occupation, and that I thought she'd be OK for some toddler twirling, and he agreed. Once things settle down, I'm going to start looking. She loves to sing and dance, so I think it might be a great fit for her. She's a ham and a half. She waves at people, initiates peekaboo games, and even occasionally blows kisses to strangers. Sometimes people fall over themselves for her, but sometimes she is ignored. When the latter happens, she just tries harder to ham it up.

Roxanne still loves Spongebob Squarepants. My mom found her a "bob bob" chair recently, and Roxanne had a really hilarious reaction to it. When she first saw it, she acted afraid of it, and wouldn't get anywhere near it. After about ten minutes of keeping an eye on it, she eased over to it and sat in it while Nana read her a book. A few pages in, she turned to my mom and said "bob bob's a chair." It made my day. It's really a fun chair, kind of like a little nest, since it's round and sits on a frame. She really likes it. In other Roxanne news, I let her play Leah's drumset a little the other night, and she LOVED it. If this house works out, we are definitely getting her some drums for Christmas. They will be perfect in the basement. Of course, we are wondering if we should just get her a full size set so it will last longer, but we'll see. I have to admit that would be partly for me and Justin... :)

Alright, I'm off to eat a late dinner. Tomorrow night we are going to my dad and Colleen's farm for dinner and a visit with Katie! We have been missing her so much, but we are so thankful that they are letting her be a farm dog during this transitional time. Apparently Katie is very happy up there living with their other dogs, and getting totally spoiled. She's going to be so disappointed coming back in the city...

We hope everyone is well!

No comments: