Thursday, May 15, 2008

Doing the best I can...


So it looks like my article for the June Atlanta Parent will probably not make it in. The editor just said that it wasn't "quite what she was hoping for" and that they are running tight on space, so she'll let me know if it does. At first, I was very very discouraged by this, and honestly started thinking that it was a huge mistake to even try pursuing freelance writing. But then I realized that any time you try and market a creative ability, you are going to be subject to rejection, and I need to grow a thicker skin. Instead of just letting the article go, I'm going to try and polish it up and shop it to a few other places. And maybe it won't get published in any of those either, but at least I will have tried! I also ordered business cards from a woman on www.etsy.com who is a teacher trying to start her own business, too. I figured it would give me good karma shopping with her rather than Office Depot or something. And she's designing a custom logo for me, too. I should get them within a month. I also bought my domain name (super cheap through Yahoo) www.adrianelilly.com, but it's only a starter page for now. Justin is going to help me beef it up a little bit, and the etsy seller said she was fine with me using the logo she designs on my website.

Roxanne is doing well. She's really not much of a sleeper these days, and as I write (at 10:00 pm) she's just woken up and is playing with her toes. I'm so tempted to try her on cereal (I already bought some organic brand rice cereal and some baby spoons because I'm so excited) but Justin and I think it would be best to wait until she's 6 months. But I've been slowly testing her and giving her dry runs with the spoon, and she seems to know what she's doing. She is also very very interested in what I'm eating and tries to either grab it, or opens her mouth and tries to eat it. Granted, she does that with pretty much everything, but it somehow seems more meaningful with food... She's continuing to make fun new noises that sound more like talking, and she's really grabbing EVERYTHING.

Big family news:

My sister graduated from her Master's Program on Saturday! Yay! I'm so proud of her. She worked so hard to finish, and it's just amazing.

My aunt Ellen and her husband Patrick are expecting a BOY! That's right, a boy. He's due to arrive in the end of September I think. Ellen and Patrick's twins are going to have a field day with a baby boy!

My half-brother Peter just left for Germany where he will be stationed for 3 years. He's a linguist with the army now. We're hoping he'll be able to come home for Christmas, but he's excited about buying a sports car when he arrives.

No comments: