Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Does anyone else need a vacation?

Things are just entirely too busy. Work is completely out of control, and I have just taken on a freelance job writing 10-15 short blurbs a week about mortgage and finance topics. On the up-side, I just turned in my second article for Atlanta Parent and also picked up the May issue. It was so exciting to see my article in there! I also had the editor mail me some issues of Atlanta Baby (I couldn't find it anywhere!) and I got to read my little "Mommy Diary" in there. There was even a picture of me and Roxanne. I guess one of the tough parts of trying to get into the freelance world is the part where you are still doing your full-time job while also trying to get contacts and build up a portfolio. I met with a former co-worker over the weekend, and she is a full-time freelance writer, and she gave me a LOT of great information. The older I get, the more I realize that networking is EVERYTHING. She has a great website set up (www.lisajordanspires.com) where she refers potential clients to see her writing and resume. I think this is a fabulous idea. I want to copy her. After turning in my article today, I just felt amazing. I realized how much I like writing. I hope that someday it can be my job, even if it's writing scripts for telemarketers and brochures for real estate agencies. You can be sure I will introduce myself as a writer at parties. Tee hee.

Roxanne is amazing, as always. Justin had to watch her for extended stretches on both Saturday and Sunday. Poor daddy. I went to the memorial service for my co-worker on Saturday. It was absolutely beautiful, although very very hard to sit through. Raven had an amazing and huge family. I'm pretty sure she was one of seven siblings. They really were wonderful people, and I can't believe how strong they are. I feel like it afforded me a little closure, although I still feel sad at work at random times throughout the day. I think that will probably be the case for all of us for a long time to come.

Sunday I met my old co-worker for the tutorial I mentioned above. But it was much more than that. We chatted and realized how much we like each other. I never got to talk to her very much at work, but she's really fun and very very nice.

All in all, I'm continuing to focus on staying positive, and enjoying every second I get with my fantastic family. I know things are going to work out, and I'm putting a lot of time and effort into making them happen.

Oh, and I'm posting a HUGE batch of pictures on Flickr. Sorry. I got backlogged for a while.

Oh, and also, Roxanne has started making new sounds, and one of them totally sounds like "mama." It's absolutely adorable. I'm going to try and record it soon and upload some more video on Flickr. It's amazing how big and cute she is these days.

No comments: