Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Two Month Check Up

Roxanne had her two month check up this afternoon. Everything went fine, although her weight gain is a little bit slowed down, probably because of the change in her eating habits and not eating as much at day care. She's now 23.5 inches long and 12 pounds 3 ounces. She's still 90th percentile in both height and weight. The doctor said she looked great, and gave me some stern advice about dealing with Roxanne's marathon eating sessions in the evening. She told me that Roxanne is basically having a stand off about the bottle, and so she's snacking just enough during the day to get by, and then eating her fill in the evening. She really does eat for close to three hours once we get home. She stops here and there, but no more than half an hour goes by before she cranks up and wants to eat again. The doctor said once she gets closer to 3 months that I should try and not let Roxanne eat as much overnight. She said she should be able to go at least 6 hours without feeding. However, as it stands, she is only eating two times overnight, once at around 1:00am and again around 5:00am. I guess I just feel like I'd rather miss a little sleep (I'm still sleeping between 6 and 8 hours every night, depending on when I go to sleep) than force her to slow her weight gain even more. I talked to a lactation consultant, Julie Duncan, at Peidmont today (she's pretty well-known and absolutely amazing) and she told me that she sees nothing wrong with our current arrangement. She said that Roxanne might come around to eating more during the day, but as long as she's getting enough, I shouldn't worry about when she's eating. I hate to say it, but I tend to agree with Julie. She's got about 20 years and several kids more than my pediatrician (who is young and doesn't actually have kids).

In any case, Roxanne is doing very well. She had to have 5 shots in her legs, and also one vaccine that is given orally. She totally lost it during the shots. I've never heard her wail the way she did in there. It was crazy. I nursed her afterwards, and she calmed down almost immediately, although she's been pretty fussy the rest of today. I gave her some Infant Tylenol a little while ago, and now she's really really sleeping. Poor thing. It was so hard seeing her so upset. I had to fight back tears. At least she's got two more months until her next check up.

Justin is almost totally better, but since there are a lot of sick people at his work, he's worried that he's going to get sick again. I hope not. I still feel like Roxanne and I dodged a bullet not coming down with whatever it was that he had. I'm glad I got a flu shot when I did. Next year we will all be getting on in October. I get mine free at work. Poor Justin was so miserable. There's nothing worse than a fever.

In other news, check out my Atlanta Parent blog for my recent experience at Babies R Us, where Roxanne peed all over me while she was eating and made me look like I had peed all over myself. I'm about to write it now.

No comments: