Thursday, May 21, 2009

More hoops and more hoops

We had the inspections today. Justin took the day off to take care of everything (and then came home and crashed, since the poor guy is suffering from a nasty cold while dealing with all of this) and I'm just trying to catch up. The long and the short of it is not really anything all that surprising. Basically, there are some repairs needed, which we knew, but we are just going to have to get repair estimates and then crunch the numbers again to see if things will work. When you think about the fact that the house is sixty years old, it's not surprising that there are things that need updating/replacing, but I wish they would have been smaller things. Like light fixtures and wallpaper. :) Overall though, the house is in good shape, and it has good bones. So we don't think we are going to throw in the towel, but I'll keep you posted. As I'm sure you've noticed, we kind of already love this house and we really want to make things work. Plus, if we get these things fixed before we move in, the house will be in great shape! We'll see. We've already got a tentative time for a roofer to come out and do an estimate early next week, but my Dad got a preliminary estimate from him, and I was pleasantly surprised at how low it was. I thought a new roof would just be devastatingly expensive. I guess when you aren't buying a mansion with adobe tiles on it, it's not as bad as all that. Let's hope the other necessary repairs are similarly not-scary expensive...

No comments: